Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Choosing a Career

Only a fortunate few know exactly what they want to be when they grow up. The rest of us need to take some time to research available career paths. What kind of schooling or training will I need? How much money can I earn? Will there be jobs when I graduate?

Check out CCPL's Choosing a Career guide, especially the Ohio Career Information System (OCIS) and the Occupational Outlook Handbook produced by the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
  • OCIS uses extensive information on occupations, the military, colleges, and financial aid to match you with a specific career and give you a game plan on how to begin it.

  • Occupational Outlook Handbook lists job duties, job outlook, and education requirements for thousands of jobs, and also provides reviews of job markets in each state.

Finding Books @ Your Library:

For books on career options, try a Subject search in Tri-C's library catalog for "Vocational Guidance" or "Vocational Guidance -- United States." (I know, but that's what we call it - vocational.)

For books on specific careers, try a Keyword search in Tri-C's library catalog for "vocational and [insert career choice here]" Example: vocational and construction

No comments:

Post a Comment